Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Thanks

I have received several e-mails in addition to blog comments from people reading this site. Your encouragement and prayers are appreciated. It is some what comforting to find so many other people sharing common MTHFR problems. And, its nice to know that our blog is providing comfort and hope to others in the same situation.
.
We are not alone! It is amazing how many miscarriages are now being associated with the MTHFR gene mutation(s). Apparently, it has only been a common diagnosis for a few years now. Many doctors do not agree on how to treat this condition. I've also read that as many as 1 in 10 people carry the mutation on at least one of their X chromosomes. If 1 in 6 pregnancies end in miscarriage, I wonder how many are really caused by the MTHFR gene mutation? Its also very hard to understand why it seems to affect some pregnancies and not others. With how common the condition is, you'd think that we'd know more about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't that the truth. I have been pregnant 7 times. I have 3 healthy children. I lost the last baby after I was diagnosed and had a succefull preganancy taking folic acid, b12 and baby aspirin. The doctor did tests on the baby's tissue and took another 8 vials of blood from me. All turned out normal. It's incredibly frustrating.

Anonymous said...

I have had one successful pregnancy and no complications but my next 4 pregnancies ended in miscarriages. 1st one was a blighted ovum, 2nd one miscarried at 8 weeks, 3rd one doctors thought I had a hormone inbalance and was put on hormones but still miscarried at 8 weeks, 4th one new doctor diagnosed me with PCOS and we carried baby until 13 weeks at which time the ultrasound showed that our little angel had passed. After all this my doctor tested me for other conditions and found out that I have Hetero MTHFR. I began taking baby aspirin, folic acid, and B vitamins and continued to take meds for PCOS. We were not planning on having any more children but were opting for adoption when I found out that I was pregnant. Today I am 14 weeks pregnant and taking daily lovenox injections but am still very skeptical at every appointment that I go to. I don't want to get my hopes up to high. By the way my son who is 5 years old I really believe that he is a miracle that we ever had him and that if we can carry to term this one will be a miracle also,.